Creamy pumpkin pasta is a delicious and simple recipe that quickly comes together with pasta, grated Parmesan, pumpkin puree, and a touch of cream.
Before we go one step further, let me clarify that this recipe is not sweet, nor does it taste anything like pumpkin pie. Instead, the pumpkin puree and cheese give the sauce a rich alfredo-like texture that coats the pasta with a savory flavor.
PUMPKIN PASTA SAUCE INGREDIENTS
You can attribute the sauce’s silky, luxurious texture to pumpkin purée. It’s a lighter way to add a creamy texture or bulk up recipes without more fat or calories. Perfect examples would be this hearty turkey chili and pasta.
Here’s everything you’ll need for this recipe:
- penne pasta- swap for rotini, macaroni, or linguine
- olive oil
- minced garlic
- pumpkin puree- make sure it’s puree and not canned pumpkin pie filling
- pasta water
- half and half
- grated Parmesan cheese
Want to make this gluten-free? Swap regular pasta for your favorite gluten-free option. The milk and half and half can also be exchanged for unsweetened almond milk and canned coconut milk.
- Cook the pasta according to package directions, reserve 1 cup pasta water, drain, and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat the oil over medium-high heat. Add the garlic and sauté for about 30 seconds, until fragrant.
- Add the pumpkin puree and reserved pasta water. Whisk until a smooth paste forms.
- Stir in the half and half milk, nutmeg, and salt to the paste, bring to a simmer while occasionally stirring. Cook for 5 minutes or until thickened and smooth.
- Once heated through, add in the grated Parmesan and whisk until the cheese is dissolved. Add the cooked pasta and toss to combine. Top with additional Parmesan cheese and serve.