Easy orange chicken recipe puts a healthy spin on the sweet-savory Chinese takeout favorite!
Easy Orange Chicken
- SERVES: 6
- PREP TIME: 10 min
- COOK TIME: 20 min
- CALORIES: 244
Step Away From the Takeout Menu!
What is it that’s so satisfying about recreating your favorite take out dishes at home? It’s hard to say exactly what it is—it’s sort of a puzzle-solving high, plus it fills our frugal hearts with joy. Oh, and it’s nice to control exactly what’s in your food—homemade is always going to be healthier than takeout! Baked instead of fried means way less oil, we use a little less salt than your favorite Chinese restaurant would, and you’ll find no MSG on our ingredients list.
How To Make Orange Chicken (but Healthier & Easier!)
We’ve said it before and we’ll say it again—making Chinese dishes at home is not just healthier than takeout, it’s also way, way faster than waiting for delivery. This easy orange chicken comes together in about 20 minutes.
- Roast the chicken pieces until they’re cooked through.
- Simmer the orange chicken sauce until it’s thick—it’ll just take a couple of minutes.
- Toss the chicken pieces with the orange chicken sauce, and serve!
Orange Chicken Sauce
- 1/3 cup Freshly squeezed orange juice +2tsp finely minced zest
- 3 tbsp Soy sauce (or tamari to make it gluten-free)
- 1/2-1 tsp Chili-garlic paste
- 2 tbsp Brown sugar
- 2 Minced garlic cloves
- 1 tbsp Rice wine vinegar
- 1/4 cup Water
- 1 1/2 tbsp Cornstarch
- 2 lbs Boneless, skinless chicken breast, cut into 2″ cubes
- 1 tsp Salt
- 2 tbsp Olive oil
- Preheat oven to 375°F. In a large bowl toss chicken breast pieces with salt and olive oil and arrange on a baking sheet. Bake chicken cubes for 20 minutes on center rack until cooked through.
- While chicken is baking prepare a sauce. In a small bowl form a slurry by combining cornstarch with water until fulling incorporated. In a small saucepan add all ingredients, including prepared slurry, and bring to a simmer. Allow to simmer for 3-5 minutes, until sauce has thickened.
- Once chicken is done pour the orange sauce over the chicken and toss until chicken is fully coated. Serve warm over white rice or cauliflower rice. Enjoy!